IB94V0 Data Analytics and Artificial Intelligence
Individual Assignment (70%)
You will work individually.
The field of data analytics and artificial intelligence, which views data as a strategic asset used to help
decision making in business practices, spans a wide range of topics. In terms of business application, we
have covered the application scenarios of DA and AI in the financial market, retails, stock market, sports,
social network, policy making, among others. In terms of the topics of DA and AI, we have covered data
exploration, data visualization, basic algorithms, pattern discovery, cluster analysis, prediction models,
time series analysis, text mining, and deep learning.
Considering the above, choose a phenomenon you are interested in (e.g., a business problem). Critically
discuss the application of DA and AI in the chosen area (e.g., addressing the business problem).
Feel free to use any in case you don’t have a topic of preference. Critically discuss the topic you have
chosen with examples, as well as potential opportunities and challenges associated with the
implementation of data analytics.
1. How data analytics on consumer browsing data can be used to address business problems in the
online commerce industry?
2. How data analytics on patient-related data can be used to address problems in the healthcare
3. How data analytics on social media data (e.g., Facebook data) can be used to address business
problems in industries such as banking, financial markets, stock markets, insurance sector, etc.?
A 3000-word essay including
1. Introduction (introduce the topic)
2. Literature review (previous literature relevant to your topic)
3. Hypothesis development (present your arguments using theoretical points / industry evidences)
4. Data (you do NOT need to collect data; however, to test your hypotheses, you need to tell the
potential data sources assuming you are able to acquire any data you want)
5. Methods (again, you do NOT need to analyse data; however, based on the potential dataset,
elaborate the analytical methods you will use to deal with the data)
6. Expected results (based on the potential dataset, what your expected results will be)
7. Critically discuss your arguments around the topic you have chosen
21 Jan 2021, 20:00
For the individual work, you will be assessed on
1. Presentation and use of literature
2. Understanding of the theory (what the LR really says, and how you communicate it)
3. Analytical ability (whether the proposed analytical methods are appropriate for the business
4. Critical ability (need to be novel and critical to ideas presented)
5. Originality in developing the arguments and presenting the ideas
6. Clarity, structure and style (well written, have flow, be consistent with the referencing, etc.)