In this task, you will engage in a Community Health simulation to gather information about a virtual community. Sentinel CityTM Community Health Simulation is a virtual city developed by Healthcare Learning Innovations to represent what you may find in any real United States city. You will be able to take a virtual bus trip and/or walk around the city while observing the environment and people of Sentinel CityTM. Through your observations, you will gather information to assess potential health issues and risks within this online virtual learning environment.
You will assess different factors that may contribute to or detract from the health and wellness of the community and its citizens. During your trips through the city, you may be asked to describe the people you see and any expected or unexpected findings related to the citizens of Sentinel CityTM. Your keen observations will be the foundation to successfully completing assignments within your course. The simulation website will automatically log your hours and produce a special report at the end of each session. Be sure to have a notepad to record your observations of Sentinel CityTM in preparation for this task.
A. Within Sentinel CityTM you will notice a camera icon. Use the camera to take pictures within the simulation. Use the “enter text” feature to add your observations to the pictures. Submit a PDF of your action report from Sentinel CityTM that includes the following completed activities from Industrial Heights, Casper Park District, Acer Tech Center, and Nightingale Square:
• Interfaith Church
• Sentinel City School District
• Sentinel City Department of Transportation
• Better Health Clinic
• ABC Daycare
• Sentinel City Affordable Housing Project
• City Hall
• Radio Buzz 96.5FM
• Sentinel City Healthcare System
• Joe’s Grocery
• Sentinel City Department of Parks and Recreation
B. Complete a needs-assessment summary to determine the health needs and risks of the virtual community in Sentinel CityTM by using each of the following tools:
Note: These tools can be found either in the web links section or as an attachment to this task.
• Demographics Assessment
• Neighborhood/Community Safety Inventory
• Windshield Survey
• Population Health Scavenger Hunt
Note: The name of each of the four tools should be identified in the needs-assessment summary, along with a brief summary of how each of the four tools were used in the needs assessment.
1. Analyze the collected data using concepts of epidemiology and health determinants.
C. Formulate a community diagnosis for Sentinel CityTM by doing the following:
1. Discuss the three problems for Sentinel CityTM based on the Healthy People goals.
2. Discuss community resources (e.g., Sentinel CityTM Affordable Housing Project, Better Health Clinic) that are available to address one of the problems identified in part C1.
3. Identify a primary prevention topic based on the problem you selected in part C2.
Note: See the attached “Approved Activities List” for guidance in formulating your topic.
D. Discuss how you will apply the assessment strategies you have learned from the simulation environment to your community assessment strategies in your community.
E. Acknowledge sources, using in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.More Essay Samples: Do Port State Control inspections influence flag-and class-hopping phenomena in shipping? »